There is a slew of potential fire hazards hanging all around the home and while we understand you’re busy with your day-to-day routine, you should be aware of risky areas.
Now that we are getting into winter, December and January are well-known for having a boom of electrical fires. Many people are trying to heat up their homes through different devices but oftentimes, they are being careless which leads to an electrical fire.
Let’s take a look at some of the major causes of electrical fires:
- Wiring within the walls poses a major threat as the wires could be suffering from degradation or water damage. Sometimes when hanging photos, people can hit a wire with a nail and cause some serious damage. Inspections by a professional electrician are crucial to making sure your home stays safe.
- Dust, surprisingly, poses another fire hazard. Since it’s extremely dry and light it’s also very combustible. Dust also settles on HVAC systems, wiring, and other hot surfaces, acting as a catalyst. Make sure to keep every nook and cranny as clean as possible!
- Old appliances may look vintage or retro but antique appliances unfortunately can lead to a major house fire. They’re not compatible with up-to-date electrical sockets and using them can create power surges or overheat appliances.
- Light fixtures are one of the most common reasons for the onset of an electrical fire. Lightbulbs with high wattage can easily cause electrical fires so always look at the recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp.
- Space heaters may keep you toasty in the winter but when they are placed too close to curtains, clothes, or furniture, you’re in for some trouble. Make sure your space heater is kept away from these areas so the coil doesn’t get hot and erupt in flames.
- Extension cords are extremely beneficial, helping you to plug in multiple electronics at a time. Did you know that these should only be used temporarily? When you can, try to plug your device directly into the outlet.