Electrical safety in the home is something that goes overlooked and ignored most of the time. People are just not wired to think about it . There are at least 3 basic things you need to keep in mind and you can use this article to do a quick inspection to find out where you stand in the home.
Three Basic Electrical Safety Tips
We've seen one too many homes with several extension cords running through multiple rooms. Before we even think of the electrical danger, we need to understand that it will cause a trip and fall accident. But, as you trip or pull those cords in any way, over time they will pull on the wall socket causing damage that can cause a fire or electrocution. Make sure that all cords are new and not in anyway frayed or have holes and bends in them.
Use Power Strips/ Surge Protectors
Plugging too many things in an outlet may cause an unexpected explosion or fire. Make sure that you have a power strip or surge protector to plug in multiple plugs. These are much safer than the multi plugs you plug into a wall. You can also move a power strip or surge protector around a bit so you have more flexibility as to where you want your appliances.
Make sure you have any cloth or dangling objects away from the strips as they could cause fire. Anything containing an electrical outlet can spark unexpectedly. If you notice sometimes when you plug something in an outlet you may get a small arc of blue or red electricity as it makes contact. If something pulls on the cord, such as an pet or a foot etc.. that spark may catch anything hanging over it too closely on fire.
Wipe Up Spills
Electrical accidents are reported commonly due to water reaching an outlet or power strip. It doesn't need to be but a drop, literally, just a drop. But if it's a stream of water and you are holding on to the container that it's dripping from, the electrical current will follow it up to you and cause electrocution.
Avoid these electrical safety concerns by giving us a call at (845) 513-3344.